Today was rushed; we had an early release so periods were only 35 minutes + homecoming week = crazy.
In Algebra students had a work day and practiced either two-step or multi-step equations. If you haven’t see how we do homework/practice check it out here.
Geometry worked through Dan’s 3 act Super Stairs. This summer I attended one of Dan’s workshops and he walked the group through this problem.The group seemed to really enjoy it. Here is a quick recap:
- Play the video, teacher ask students to write down the first question that comes to their mind.
- As students share out, teacher ask who else finds a question interesting.
- After a while students will ask “How many steps does he take” and “How long will it take him”
- Teacher asks students to write down guesses
- Share and record those guesses
- Teacher asks what info is important; compile a list.
- Give students info
- Students work on solving the questions
- Share solutions, whoever guessed the closest gets one clap
- Address unanswered questions
Whenever I do 3-Act math I always forget to go back and address the list of questions we came up with. Today I didn’t do that and it felt much more rounded.
What I did forget to do though was have students title the lesson….