Algebra reviewed factoring trinomials today. A colleague shared with me a review game he used late last week, which he found over at Nathan Kraft’s Blog.
This is hands down one of my favorite.
Nathan has a great write up with detailed directions, so I am just going to highlight a few fun things I observed (I did add a few rounds where students could add an X instead of remove one).
- Politics; Students would make treaties with others or try to bribe them (with their own homework passes or negotiate a two-turn treaty)
- In one period, a group of students would answer each question correctly and then form a huddle to decide on which student to turn into a zombie each round… This eventually led to members of the group betraying one-another.
- One particular student convinced 8 others to give him lives during a health round… This set the cross-hairs on him and he was quickly eliminated the following round.
- “Next time we play this I’m not gonna trust you”… “Can we play this again next week?” THEY WANTED MORE.
- Lots and lots of great math happened throughout the period.